Tuesday, May 13

Going Nuts over Resin Pralines! Just PECANS...
by Tanya Ruffin


"You're Praline wondering why I sent this... Just Pecans"


Ever had an awesome idea of something to make...or see if you could make? Then you have one obstacle after another, but you are bound and determined to see it through? Well, that is this project.

I wanted to make some resin pecans, that part was pretty easy. Then I wanted to make a praline.

In the South you see several types of pralines; creamy, chocolate, even bacon! I wanted to make what is called "original" pralines. They are more shiny and translucent than the creamy pralines. It probably would have been easier to make creamy pralines, but I already had started on this journey.


And yes, At one point I did give totally up and mold a whole, already made, praline... The cast looked like moose poop.

What you need:

First thing to do is make the pecans, this was the most fun! I made a resin mold of several pieces of pecan using Amazing Mold Putty.


The I used a mix of the Caucasian and African American Alumilite Dye to get the color for the pecans. I also used Amazing Casting Resin (white) as the base.


I added a touch of Alumilite Red Dye to get the perfect shade.


Pour the mold and wait.

After I pop out the pieces, I then used a sponge to coat some watered down black acrylic paint into the crevices. I then wiped it off the top. This gave the resin pecans life! I then added some cream paint to the broken edges.


Can you tell which are real and which are resin?
Pretty close! The resin pecans are on the left. 

Now that my pecans are done I just need to put them in a resin praline.

... easy right? 

Sigh.... not really. I ruined about half dozen batches of my pretty pecans.

First attempt was using Amazing Clear Cast Resin combined with some more of the Caucasian and African American Alumilite Dye. By this time I had tired of wasting my good pecans and tried it with a cream pecan. This batch was a little too dark. 


But I discovered I could use a sponge with Red
and African American Dye to sponge on color. YAY!


Using a little more Caucasian dye, it came out rather creamy. 


Adding some more African American dye and sponging on top...
I am starting to like it.


So now I decided to try Caucasian and African American dyed white Amazing Casting Resin and then putting some dyed 
Amazing Clear Cast Resin on top to make it shiny...

Nailed it! NOT...


Ok, stop being so inventive, I almost had it before!!!

So far, I think this one is my favorite!


So now, to made the card. I cut my paper. and glued in place. Cut a small square with a paper punch in the bottom right corner.


Outside of card


"You are PRALINE wondering why I sent this..." 


Inside of card...  "Just Pecans!!"

What resin techniques are you NUTS for?

Until Next Time... ~ Tanya

Please visit my site to see more of my inspiring creations at www.tanyaRuffin.com




• • • • • • • • • • • • • •

Don't forget to subscribe to our blog on the right side bar:
Twitter at AmazingCrafting | Facebook at AmazingMoldPutty | YouTube at AmazingMoldPutty

1 comment:

  1. Tanya - First I have to say that I love love love this card! I applaud you keeping your sense of humour when things aren't working... but in the end you have a smashing success. BRAVO!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...