Monday, June 23

A Rose is a Rose is a ROSE! From Chocolate to Resin to Custom Soap with Amazing Mold Rubber
by Brenda Burfeind

Greetings Amazing Crafters! Brenda here on Mold Rubber Monday to show you a fabulous project that I am so thrilled with. It's been a long three weeks that I have had to keep this a secret, but today is my big reveal. This will be a very, very long post and picture heavy – with an added bonus of a video because I am going to actually show you three projects in one.

I started out with cleaning my dresser off and found this "yummy" chocolate rose my hubby gave me 10 years or so ago. I was actually pleasantly surprised that the chocolate wasn't totally white when I unwrapped it.

  

from this...


to this!

Now, it turned out "nice" but it definitely had some flaws. The nice thing about Amazing Mold Rubber is that is picks up ALL the detail of the original item... the bad thing is that it picks up ALL the detail of the original item, LOL!

I then created this...





which was pretty in itself, but still had some flaws.

I also created one layered with the Amazing Crafting Resin with Alumlite Fluorescent "FLO" Red Dye; just the casting resin without coloring; and then with another layer with the Alumilite Blue Dye. Pretty, right?


After making these I showed hubby what I had made. He is my go to guy when I've created because he DOES NOT hold back in critiquing me. Sometimes that's good, sometimes not so good. This time he looked at the rose, turned it over and over and said "You know..." which means he isn't totally into what I just made "...you could improve on this a bit if you cut those lines out. Can you cut resin?"

So back to the drawing board I went.

I then created this piece with Amazing Clear Cast Resin and Alumilite Pearlescent Powder just to see how it would turn out.


Here it is, all pretty in sparkly white. 


Just because this is what I do – I used the Oil Pastels
from Frog Dog Studio to give it some color.


Then I heat set it with my heat gun, and rubbed the oil pastel in to give it an incredibly cool shiny color. AND when you put heat on the resin, it also softens it a bit so that... 


You can use your exacto knife and trim away all the grooves.
How cool is that?


From that I went to create another batch of Amazing Mold Rubber {CLICK HERE to view preparation}. Now when I am ready to mold something I keep all the "extra" bits and pieces of molds that either didn't turn out or the skin from the mixing cups and "bed" my original piece. It saves on not having to use a lot of the mold rubber and pouring it onto this will actually adhere itself directly to the bits and pieces. 


If you can, always hot glue your original piece to your container. This will keep your piece from "floating" and creates a nice hole to pull your piece out of. 


Voila! My "perfect" rose mold. 


This rose was actually made by first adding a mixture of Amazing Casting Resin and swirling it around in the mold to give it an edge. You definitely have to have some patience when doing this technique, but the outcome is fabulous. Then when that was totally cured I added more Amazing Casting Resin with Alumilite Black Dye and filled the mold. Once it came out of the mold, I also added a little bit of the oil pastel in black around the edges and heat set that again also. I didn't have to do this, but since inventing this technique, I feel I want to heat set everything with oil pastels. LOL! 

  

I created a wire piece, drilled a hole in the center of the rose and glued it with E6000® to make a picture holder. Since the resin piece is so dense it's actually a solid somewhat heavy piece.

Now, while I was creating ALL these fun roses I had some time between drying, curing, setting, etc. and I was looking around my craft room and found this:


I actually remember purchasing this at Michaels on clearance last fall. Ding, ding, ding... could you really use the Amazing Mold Rubber molds to make soap? YES!

Here is the proof of what I did – Enjoy!


Keep in mind this is my first video in a very, very long time... so please don't judge.

If you don't want to watch the video or cannot watch it, keep reading. There is a full step-by-step following on how I did what I did.

I melted the soap in the microwave for 20 seconds, added some fragrance and two drops of the purple colorant – then poured the mixture into my mold.


Put it into the refrigerator for 10 minutes.


Since I had no idea if this would work or not – I slowly pulled the edges from the piece away and it sorta just popped out.


Check this out... 


Is this beautiful or what? 


Here are some other pieces I made just because I had the soap all melted. All the other pieces except the rose are Amazing Mold Putty molds. So, the proof is that you can also pour soap into those molds. 

I got a little dish at the Dollar Store, wrapped the soaps with some fake flowers and Viola... a pretty accent for your bathroom.


Now, I do have to say that after letting the roses set out for a day, they "dried" a bit more and kinda crystallized – I love this look even more than the glossy look. 


If you are still reading here, thank you for sticking around to read all the way through. I hope you had a chance to watch the video also. It was my first attempt at a video in a very long time and I think I did pretty good. I hope you enjoyed today's post and thank you so very much for all patience with this uber long post.

What would you mold to make custom
soaps with Amazing Mold Rubber?

Please leave me a comment below with any questions or feedback.
I love to hear what others think. 

If you have a chance please jump over to my blog, Creativity is a State of Mind.
Until next time, happy crafting! Brenda 

 • • • • • • • • • • • • • •

Don't forget to subscribe to our blog on the right side bar:
Twitter at AmazingCrafting | Facebook at AmazingMoldPutty | YouTube at AmazingMoldPutty

3 comments:

  1. wow, great to see all the creative ideas that came from one simple item.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Maria, I love that so many things can be made with 1 mold

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great project! You definitely took advantage of the versatility and came up with some great ideas.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...