Thursday, June 19

A trip to the Salon puts the Shimmer in this AMAZING Faux Black Opal... by Lynne Suprock


Lynne Suprock from Simply Pretty Stuff here to share my first tutorial post using Amazing Crafting Products... an amazing faux Black Opal pendant.

Several years ago my father in law took a trip to Australia and brought me back a brilliant raw black opal. I fell in love with the way the colors danced across the black in the supporting stone. It is my favorite piece, and now, gold wrapped, it is a pendant that I love to wear. 

When I was introduced to the Amazing Crafting Products, I also fell in love with the way you could create pieces by casting color in layers. The Amazing Clear Cast Resin can produce either a matte or glossy finish in the end, depending on the type of mold that it was cast into. The richness of the black resin makes the colors pop and sparkle, reminding me of raw black opal.


Here are the instructions for making your own.

You can either create your own mold using Amazing Mold Putty, or choose to use one that you may have on hand. The mold I used for this pendant is one of the Plaid Mod Podge Mod Molds.


Rinse the mold with clear water, cleaning dust
or any debris that may be inside. Dry completely.


Mix equal parts of the Amazing Clear Cast Resin according to instructions, stirring slowly to minimize bubbles {CLICK HERE to view preparation/mixing}.


Pour just enough Amazing Clear Cast Resin to fill
the gem portion of the mold. Let cure for 24 hours. 

   

Brush a little multi colored glitter nail polish
on the back of the resin and let dry a few minutes.


Mix equal amounts of Amazing Casting Resin {CLICK HERE to view mixing/preparation}. Before combining both parts together, I added Alumilite Black dye to Part "A" and stirred completely to combine color. Then combine Part "A" with Part "B". Stir quickly to mix as this Resin sets quickly.

Pour into the mold, filling it up the rest of the way. Let cure 20 minutes.


Remove the finished casting by popping it out of the mold.

      

Use a fine tipped paint brush to pick up Alumilite Gold Metallic Powder,
and apply to carefully outline the frame.


Using a 1/16" drill bit, drill a hole at each end of your newly molded gemstone.


Attach a jump ring in each of the holes.


Add a bead or a dangle and a necklace chain. Try making a bracelet with these gems! I used the beautiful blown glass beads, seen below, from Harry and Heather Boardman at HMB Studios.

I can't wait to create a few other precious gems using Amazing Crafting Products, and would love if you would let us know how this technique works for you too! 


Please visit my blog "Simply Pretty Stuff" to see more of my creations. Lynne

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

Don't miss a single post!
Please subscribe to our blog on the right side bar:
Twitter at @AmazingCrafting | Facebook at AmazingMoldPutty | YouTube at AmazingMoldPutty

5 comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...