Wednesday, June 25

#Cre8time Organization or Greencrafted Pin Catcher... by Isabel Villarreal


Hi crafters! This is Isabel and I want to share a great idea I had while organizing my craft room this weekend. The adventure begins with packaging foam and ends with a beautiful jeweled pin cushion for my sewing station.



It started after I took a trip to get some office supplies and bought a few packs of push pins for my corkboard. The push pins came on a square of foam and as someone who loves to reuse EVERYTHING I knew I had to turn these into something AMAZING.

  

I had an old wood block in my box-o-stuff that I used to make a mold using Amazing Mold Putty. I separated equal parts of "A" and "B" and mixed them until they were an even yellow color {CLICK HERE to view mixing/preparation}. For this particular project I used the bottom of the block, since it would be used as flat base on which I would build my pin cushion.

  

The Amazing Mold Putty would take about 10 minutes to cure – so while waiting I dove into my fabric scraps and chose 2 prints that matched while still contrasting. The floral fabric will be used to cover the foam later. The easiest way to cut the fabric is to turn the fabric face down and trace the shape of the foam square. Make sure to leave an extra amount around the shape when you cut it out. The extra bit will be folded around the edges of the foam square when it's covered. I also cut a 1/4" strip from the striped fabric. This would go around the edge of the resin base.

  

At this point the mold was completely set – I removed the original wood block from the mold putty and prepared to start creating the base for my project. For the base I decided to use Amazing Casting Resin. This resin sets in about 10-15 minutes, so my crafting groove isn't interrupted and I can easily and quickly go from one step to the next. Since Amazing Casting Resin cures as a solid white I figure I'd add some color to jazz it up and make it match the fabrics a little better. I added a few drops of Alumilite Flourescent "FLO" Yellow Dye and a drop of Flourescent "FLO" Green Dye to part "A" of the resin before mixing {CLICK HERE to view mixing/preparation}.


After pouring the resin into the mold, quickly place the foam square into the setting resin. make sure to hold it place for about a minute to be sure that it doesn't float and move around. I placed my foam square in a corner of the mold.

  

After the resin was set, I removed it from the mold and brought out the fabric pieces I cut earlier. Using regular craft glue, I attached the striped fabric around the edge of the base. The bright green color of the resin complements the fabric beautifully!


Next, I applied some glue around the very edge of the foam block. I placed the fabric over the foam and folded the extra little bit over the edges pressing the fabric evenly around the entire square.


Allow the glue to dry for about 5 minutes and add some small magnets along the sides of the foam square. I used magnets that had adhesive on the back. The adhesive made it easy to place the magnets and secure them in place for the next step. 

  

The final step is to add some Amazing Clear Cast Resin to the mix which will seal the magnets in place. I poured a thin layer of Clear Cast onto the surface and around the magnets. I then scattered some Stampendous Mica Flakes and a few assorted jewels and pressed them into the Clear Cast Resin {CLICK HERE to view mixing/preparation}.


The results are bright, funky and functional. This is exactly what I needed for my sewing station and since I created it myself, it suits my style perfectly!

How would you decorate your
pincushion to reflect your style?

I'd love to see what you create! Please upload and share your creations to the


• • • • • • • • • • • • • •

Don't forget to subscribe to our blog on the right side bar:
Twitter at AmazingCrafting | Facebook at AmazingMoldPutty | YouTube at AmazingMoldPutty

3 comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...