Friday, October 31

A Pumpkin and Her #Cre8time Ghoulish Grin...
by Tracy Alden


Happy Halloween! Tracy here with another Amazing Crafting Products tutorial! For my family, the daylight hours of Halloween means getting all of the decos and food ready for all the ghost and goblins later! Carving and decorating pumpkins is a major part of this frightfully fun time! While I carve real pumpkins for the porch, I often get a new foam pumpkin each year to be part of our ever growing pumpkin patch yard haunt. This year I wanted to try a very different look by making resin teeth for a grinning pumpkin!

Supplies: 
  • Amazing Mold Putty
  • Amazing Casting Resin
  • Acrylic Paint 
  • Paint or Foam Brush 
  • Craft Knife 
  • Polymer clay 
  • Hot Glue Gun and Glue Sticks 
  • Craft Pumpkin – Foam or Paper Maché 
  • Emery Board 
  • Clear Stamp Acrylic Blocks 


I started with a basic medium sized craft foam pumpkin, cleaned the surface well and sketched out a face lightly in pencil.


Using craft pumpkin carving tools, I carefully carved the pumpkin. I went over all of the carved edges with an emery board to remove any jagged and uneven edges.


For the teeth I cut polymer clay into thick triangles with a thin stem, basically an arrow shape. The point is what will become the teeth and the shaft of the arrow is cut thinner than the teeth so it will fit into the mouth of the pumpkin. I added a little bit of texture by dragging a toothpick over the teeth and then baked them on a ceramic tile. 


After I baked the polymer clay, I lightly sanded and trimmed the edges of the pieces with a craft knife and an emery board. As you can see in this photo the tooth is twice the width of the stem portion.


I placed the polymer clay originals flat side down on Clear Stamp Acrylic Blocks and mixed up some Amazing Mold Putty {CLICK HERE to view mixing/preparation}. I place the originals on Acrylic Blocks to see if the molding putty is plumb to the piece and to make sure there is no creases forming when placing the molding putty on the piece. 


Once the molds were fully cured I mixed up a batch of Amazing Casting Resin and poured it into the tooth molds {CLICK HERE to view mixing/preparation}.


Once the resin pieces were fully cured, I lightly sanded and trimmed the edges of the pieces with a craft knife and an emery board. I then used a sponge to apply orange acrylic paint to the resin teeth.


Using a damp paper towel I applied black paint to the foam pumpkin's eyes, ears and mouth openings, giving it a spooky appearance.


Carefully I glued the teeth into the mouth of the pumpkin, putting glue only on the stem of each tooth and pressed firmly against the inside of the pumpkin, making sure the triangle portion of the teeth were sitting on the lip of the mouth. 


Using a paint brush I applied black acrylic paint to the teeth and the edge of the smile, to make the teeth blend better with the pumpkin.


With the addition of fellow pumpkins, leaves and lights, I now have a wonderful new spooky addition to the haunted pumpkin patch! 

What AMAZING arts and crafts can you create?


Visit my blog Art Resurrected for more craft tutorials!

Until next time, safe travels! ~ Tracy

• • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • •

Don't forget to subscribe to our blog on the right side bar:
Twitter at AmazingCrafting | Facebook at AmazingMoldPutty | YouTube at AmazingMoldPutty

3 comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...