Thursday, December 25

Cooking up Some #Cre8time Holiday Fun! AMAZING Cajun Tree Ornaments by Tanya Ruffin


I have an awesome crawfish cookie cutter that I wanted to use to make some Christmas ornaments. Start off with Amazing RemeltSculpey, cookie cutter, Amazing Clear Cast Resin, and a decorative tissue or napkin.


I conditioned and then rolled out some Sculpey clay and pressed the cookie cutter in the clay. I then punched a hole in the top of the clay crawfish with a straw. Then baked following the Sculpey directions.


I cut the Amazing Remelt into small pieces and melted in the microwave in 30 second intervals. I have discovered that if you stir the remelt, the heat from the melted pieces will help melt some of the unmelted pieces. Just like when melting chocolate.


A plastic sandwich storage container was the perfect size for my clay ornament. I used double stick taped the ornament to the bottom of the container and started to pour the remelt over the ornament. There was an unmelted chunk of the Amazing Remelt when pouring – I dragged it over to the corner. I left overnight to harden.


After the Amazing Remelt cured I could easily take out the ornament and the pop the remelt out of the container. The mold looks perfect – look how smooth the inside of the mold is!


I mixed a batch of Amazing Clear Cast Resin and pour a thin layer in the bottom of the remelt mold. I know you are supposed to spray the mold release in first but I forgot, but amazingly I had no issues. After about 6 hours I poured another thin layer of Amazing Clear Cast Resin. I repeated layering resin about 4 times.


After all the layers were made, I easily pulled the cast out of the mold with no damage to the mold. The top of the crawfish looks frosted but in the end it will look great.

Not only that, there was no pitting from the melting of the mold by the resin curing {thick/deep pours of resin generate heat during the curing process}. The secret is mixing small batches and pouring thin layers. While this is time consuming, Rome wasn't built in a day.


I had some chili pepper napkins that I thought would look great on the crawfish. So I separated the layers of napkin until I had just the printed layer.


I attached the napkin design side down to the back side of the resin crawfish. I want to paper to be attached to the back side and you look through the clear resin to see the design. I mixed a little Amazing Clear Cast Resin and used a Q-tip to glue the paper to the back of the crawfish.

After the backside cured, I used a Q-tip to apply a layer of resin to the front of the crawfish to bring the frosty look to shiny.


You can even layer the napkins for a cool effect.
How awesomely cool is this? 

I had one little corner that I didn't get the resin even and didn't realize until I had taken the cast out of the mold. Regardless, the crawfish came out amazing!

What kind of ornaments will you
cook up in your Cre8time?

Craft Your Own Way! ~ Tanya

Tanya Ruffin with Create Studios

Please visit my site to see more of my inspiring creations at www.tanyaRuffin.com


Tanya Ruffin for tanyaruffin,com

Create Studios Baton Rouge

• • • • • • • • • • • • • •

Don't forget to subscribe to our blog on the right side bar:
Twitter at AmazingCrafting | Facebook at AmazingMoldPutty | YouTube at AmazingMoldPutty

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...