Thursday, June 11

The Lady was AMAZINGLY Altered...
by Melissa Johnson


Hello everyone! I have a serious passion for books. I love to read them. I love to make them. And I LOVE to alter them! Today I am sharing an altered mixed media book featuring lots of texture and beautiful color. 


My awesome sister in law works for a nearby school district, and when she found out they were withdrawing hundreds of old books from their library she started hoarding books for me that she knew I would love to use in my art. So when The Edwardian Lady fell into my hands it was love at first sight. The book was the perfect size, texture, and had so many good pictures inside that were going to be perfect to alter!


First I went to work on creating some items to mold with the Amazing Mold Putty. Once the molds were set, I poured in the Amazing Casting Resin.

 

While the resin cured, I started to add some texture to the book by using a palette knife and Golden modeling paste with various stencils. I also added some drywall tape and Golden glass bead gel. I let all of that dry completely.


By this time my items were ready to remove from the molds. I popped them out, and using Golden Heavy Gel medium, I began to attach them to the book cover. I also added various trinkets from my stash such as beads, flowers, and metal findings.


Once everything was set, I covered it all in Liquitex white gesso.

 

Now for the fun part! I mixed up some Alumidust with Golden acrylic glazing fluid, and using a small paintbrush I began to work the color into the book cover, alternating different colors and blending them gently as I worked.


From this point, I just continued to add layers of color
with various spray inks until I was happy with the colors. 


Some details...



And a sneak peek at what's inside :)


What do you alter with

Make something that makes you happy :) ~ Melissa Johnson
Please visit my BLOG, to see more of my mixed media creations.

 • • • • • • • • • • • • • •

Don't forget to subscribe to our blog on the right side bar:
Twitter at AmazingCrafting | Facebook at AmazingMoldPutty | YouTube at AmazingMoldPutty

1 comment:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...