Wednesday, December 30

Memories of #Cre8time School Days... Mixed Media Shadowbox by Aimée Wheaton


Lots of trinkets, papers, doo-dads that I've collected for years made their way into this little shadow box. It reminded me of a little old-fashioned school house. That was the inspiration for this little project. Basic collage techniques were used as the base for this project, I didn't get photos of each step because I got so into the project and forgot to take photos along the way.


You can see it was just a basic white box, and I wasted no time collaging elements in it using Golden Gel Medium paste. I trimmed out my vintage photo of a boy with a book and papers and pasted and sealed it all down on the base of the box. While the glue was still wet, I threw in some micro beads and glitter.


Another view. I let it dry for a few hours and
worked on other elements for the design.


I used this gesso on this old Monopoly game hotel and distressed it a bit. I cut out letters from my vintage book page talking about school and cut up a few sentences.


I glued down the words to the house with Golden Gel Medium.


I had a small glass bottle that I filled with small beads, glitter and the sentences I cut up for some interest. I wasn't sure if it all would be used – the hardest part was finding places for all the little trinkets I wanted to use and how to use them.


Trinkets...


I then took my red StazOn ink and distressed the box,
thinking "little red school house".


Did the same on the back and front.


I added some little stamp details along the edge of the box too. I then collaged some gorgeous rice paper into the top of the box as well as the bottom.


I found a cast off heart and distressed it with the same ink and glued it to the top.


I wasn't sure how well the box was sealed so I went around the seams with the thick gesso all over the box just to make sure it was resin-ready.


While the gesso was wet, I etched roof tiles in with a sharp tool.


It's resin ready!!!


For this project I'm using Amazing Clear Cast Resin. I mixed it all up and poured it into the base. Just mix equal amounts of Part "A" and Part "B" and you're good to go!


Pour slowly and let the resin flow around and fill in areas naturally.


With a half a drop of Alumilite blue dye I swirled it into certain areas of the wet resin for more interest. It worked out well!! Look how cool it looks!!




The blue added a lot!


I glued on the glasses to the top and added a bit
of the blue resin using the same popsicle stick.


Just an extra detail.


I added a bit of purple PearlX powder to the heart and grabbed some blue resin again and coated the top of the heart with the same stick as well.

Here are some detail shots...





I did end up using this little bottle. :)


I really enjoyed making the project
and hope you like how it turned out!



  

Ta-Da!!

Do you have a box of goodies
you can make into something else?

Feel free to stop by my FB page to see the latest with me.
To see more of my work please visit my new blog "Life Glitter Makeup"
and also at the Aimée Wheaton Art and Design website.

Till next time! Xoxo Aimée

• • • • • • • • • • • • • •

Don't forget to subscribe to our blog on the right side bar:
Twitter at AmazingCasting | Facebook at AmazingMoldPutty | YouTube at AmazingMoldPutty

1 comment:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...