Wednesday, October 30

Polymer Clay Molded to Perfection! AMAZING Desk Drawer Knob Redux by Niki Meiners

Hello everyone! Niki here today with a project using Amazing Mold Putty to dress up my desk drawers with some handmade knobs.


Desk drawer knobs get tons of use in my house. I am not a fan of clutter. If the clutter is out of site I am happy. The kids desk in our play room is used and abused by our kids and their friends. A few weeks ago, a knob fell off and could not be fixed. I tried to find a replacement for it and I even called the manufacturer. No luck. I tried a few from the hardware store and there was a ring around the hole that they would not fit over.


Being the crafty lass, I knew I could make a replacement... AND  I also knew I wanted to give the desk a little something to make it "POP". My daughter wanted pink and purple flowers and my 10 year old son begged me not to. I came up with a motherly compromise, knob that had a flower imprint and in masculine colors. My son suggested black and silver. I think they are pretty neutral so I agreed. 

I found a button I liked. It was the right size and right pattern but not deep enough. I came up with a plan to use more Amazing Mold Putty than would be needed to make a mold of just the button. I rolled the putty into a short fat tube and pressed the button in the center and pressed down through the tube to make it a deep mold. This worked great.

To make the drawer knob...


I conditioned black Sculpey Premo clay. I rolled it into a ball and pressed it in the mold.


Then pressed a screw into the back of the clay about half way in.
To secure the screw, I made a little snake of clay and added it around the opening.

   

I baked the clay on 275º for about 40 minutes. Follow the manufacturers directions for how long to bake. After allowing the piece to cool, I painted on Metallic Silver DecoArt acrylic paint. The paint really made all the details pop.


Using the Amazing Mold Putty really captures all the tiny details. Now I have to make 4 more knobs and finish the desk.


What furniture could you creatively update
using Amazing Mold Putty and polymer clay?


Thanks so much for dropping by! To see check out more of my creative work, please visit

Have a fabulous evening! ~ Niki
...........................................

Don't forget to subscribe to our blog via Networked Blogs,
bloglovin' or via email on the right side bar:
Twitter at @AmazingCrafting | Facebook at AmazingMoldPutty | YouTube at AmazingMoldPutty

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...