Friday, March 7

Make Your #Cre8time SEW Much FUN with Custom Fabric Weights... by Isabel Villarreal


Spring is just around the corner and in preparation for the bright days ahead I've been crafting furiously to get my house ready for a colorful update. Cutting fabric for my craft projects is probably the most time consuming part of crafting so using fabric weights makes the cutting process faster and easier by holding the pattern or fabric layers in place while I'm cutting. They are especially great if you are using a rotary cutter. Nice weights can be a little pricey so after some thought I figured I would make my very own fabric weights using Amazing Crafting Products and a couple of other things I had around the house.

   

I already own a set of fabric weights, but I just needed a few more. So I used some Amazing Mold Putty to create a mold. During my mad search for casting tools, I discovered that plastic water bottles make the best containers for molding small objects so I cut about 3/4 of the bottle away from the base and pushed my mixed putty inside then pressed the weight into it and let it set. The only thing is, you can't reuse the plastic. I had to cut the plastic away in order to remove the mold once it was set.

   

These were made by pouring 2 separate layers of Amazing Clear Cast Resin. In order to give a hint of color I added a drop of Alumilite Florescent "FLO" Red Dye to the first layer. You can see that I mixed in some glitter and small star shaped candy for the first layer. The second layer is where the weight is added- I used some bird shot that my boyfriend had in the tool shed to fill the second half of the mold then poured more Clear Cast with a drop of Florescent "FLO" Yellow Dye over it.


When I removed it from the mold it was a little dull, so I just brushed a very thin coat of Amazing Clear Cast Resin over the whole thing to give it a little more clarity. Now you can clearly see both layers. I love my new fabric weights! I settled on star shaped candy sprinkles and glitter, but you can actually use just about anything to add some zing to your fabric weights and make them your own.

How would you customize your fabric weights?

I'd love to see what you create! Please upload and share your creations to the

Isabel Villarreal

• • • • • • • • • • • • • •

Don't forget to subscribe to our blog on the right side bar:
Twitter at AmazingCrafting | Facebook at AmazingMoldPutty | YouTube at AmazingMoldPutty

3 comments:

  1. Parker - that depends on what you intend on using it for. You can find more detailed specifications on Amazing Clear Cast Resin at http://www.moldputty.com/ProdDetail.cfm?Category=Support%20Products&Name=Amazing%20Clear%20Cast

    If you have more questions, please call Alumilite directly using the 800 number. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love love this idea. Is there a way you can make a pictorial or video?

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...