Wednesday, May 7

CHARMING #Cre8time Fun with Bottle Caps...
a tutorial by Maria Soto

Hi, this is Maria and today I'm bringing you a simple project. My daughter asked me if I could make her some resin bottle cap charms – one for her and one for her boyfriend, with images from their favorite movie characters. I had thought about doing this before but always got distracted with other ideas.


First things first! I need to gather some images, print them to size, and cut them out. Now the bottle caps I used I purchased from the craft store, they were all silver color and had pre-drilled holes on them. I decided to use some alcohol inks to add a little bit of color to the bottle caps. I didn't want to completely paint the caps, but you can if you want to. 

I used Ranger Glossy Accents to adhere the paper images inside the bottle caps. I also painted some on the front of the images as well to seal them. 


Select the image you want to use, and reduce to size. You can use your photographs or something you drew... this is my daughter's favorite movie. The bottlecap will be added to a charm she's going to add to her key ring.


Once your image is cut, add some glue to the bottle cap. Then place the image inside and seal the image, then set it aside to dry.


Bottle cap is now ready for application of Amazing Clear Cast Resin. This one is a magnet, so there will be no beads added. I might add a tiny crystal once the resin is poured.


Here are the bottle caps – each colored with alcohol inks, and images glued and sealed with Ranger Glossy Accents. I've added bead to three of them. One as a pendant, the other three will become key chain charms.

The final step is adding the Amazing Clear Cast Resin. These are small bottle caps, so I mixed 1 tablespoon of each of parts "A" and "B". Mix the resin slowly and thoroughly then let it sit for a while to make sure there are no bubbles {CLICK HERE to view preparation}.


Amazing Clear Cast Resin is all ready for mixing and pouring. 

Use the mixing stick to add the resin to the bottle caps – you don't want them to overflow. Let the resin set overnight to cure. Now all you have to do is add the keyring and chain and these are ready to go to their owners. 


Captain America key chain charm - all done. 


My youngest son is into animation and this is one of his original characters,
all ready to be added to his keyring. 


All charms are done, these are going to be great gifts for my kids! 

This was a very fun project, I think I might make some with
family photos to give away as gifts to my siblings.

Materials used:
  • Assorted bottle caps (purchased from craft store)
  • Amazing Clear Cast Resin
  • 2 mixing cups
  • 1 mixing stick
  • Alcohol inks - assorted colors
  • Headpins 
  • Assorted beads
  • Flat nose pliers
  • Round nose pliers with wire cutter
  • Ranger Glossy Accents
  • Scissors
  • Key rings
  • Necklace/chain
How will you use customize your bottlecaps
using Amazing Clear Cast Resin?

Thanks for visiting! I invite you to stop over to my blog "What is Creativity"
at http://chuy-creativity.blogspot.com to see more of my creations. Maria Soto

• • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • •

Don't forget to subscribe to our blog on the right side bar:
Twitter at AmazingCrafting | Facebook at AmazingMoldPutty | YouTube at AmazingMoldPutty

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...