Tuesday, November 18

#Cre8time Play in the Kitchen! DIY Fall Festive Butter Molds by Tracy Alden


Hello! Tracy here with another Amazing Crafting Products tutorial! For holiday meals I am always looking for new appetizers to make and new ways to show off family favorites. I often make flavored butter to add to cooking food and for spreading on bread or biscuits, but I always thought it looked so boring just sitting in a bowl in a lump. I got to thinking about how to create festive molds for butter pats, using the last harvest of herbs and spices from my garden and some help from Amazing Remelt.

Supplies: 

Butter Pat Recipes:

"Savory Delight"
  • 1/2 stick of room temperature butter, salted
  • 1/2 teaspoon fresh Sage
  • 1/2 teaspoon dried Thyme

"Garden Garlic"
  • 1/2 stick of room temperature butter, salted
  • 1/2 teaspoon fresh minced Garlic
  • 1/2 teaspoon fresh Rosemary

"Spiced Breakfast"
  • 1/2 stick of room temperature butter, salted
  • 1/2 teaspoon Pumpkin Pie Spice Mix (Equal parts Cinnamon, Ginger, Lemon Peel, Nutmeg, Cloves, Cardamom)
  • 1/4 teaspoon Honey


I start off with making sure to use a new package of Amazing Remelt that I can devote to food crafting use. While you can reuse Amazing Remelt as much as you like you never want to use Amazing Remelt for non-food safe crafts and then use it for food. Because I needed the pieces to be molded to be food safe I created them out of fondant.


To create the fall shapes to make the butter pat molds from, I start with rolling out the fondant to a 1/2 inch thickness. I placed a piece of plastic wrap onto of the fondant and pressed the pie crust cutters through the plastic wrap and fondant, creating a beveled edge.


I cut out 9 shapes to mold, smoothing the edges of the fondant with my fingers and put some simple details into each piece using a toothpick as a tool. I let the fondant dry, which can take a few hours or overnight depending on temperature and humidity. 


Once the pieces were fully dry (they will feel like a hard candy), I attached them to the inside of the plastic food storage containers with a little water. When dry fondant is touched with water it becomes tacky and sticky all over again, in this case sticking to the inside of the container. I then sprayed all of the pieces with cooking spray to act as a food safe mold release.


As I noted in my Previous Post about Amazing Remelt – when heating up the Remelt I was careful to try heating it for 15 second intervals. Depending on how much Remelt you are trying to melt and how hot the microwave being used is, the time needed to melt can vary dramatically. 

From a 12 -15 inch distance I poured the Amazing Remelt in the mold boxes – the distance gives the Remelt a chance to release more bubbles before cooling. I was somewhat generous with the amount of Remelt I used, but there is no waste! I can easily melt the molds down and reuse all of the Remelt.

Since the fondant pieces had some little details I used a small toothpick to drag any bubble caught in the Amazing Remelt before it cooled to make sure to get a better casting. 


Once the Amazing Remelt was cooled, no longer warm or sticky to the touch, I was able to carefully remove the fondant pieces. The fondant pieces were a wee bit gooey and soft because of the cooking spray but the detail captured by the molds was wonderful! I gently cleaned the molds to remove any sugar or oil left from the casting process and let the molds air dry on a cutting board.


As per the butter spice and herb recipes listed under supplies I mixed up the butter recipes. Do NOT heat up the butter to soften it – that starts the process of separating the fats from the milk solids in the butter. Always use butter allowed to warm up to room temperature to create butter pats.


Using a spatula, carefully push the butter mixtures into the molds; the spatula will help push any air bubbles out and all the butter into the tiny details. Flip over the mold and make sure you got all the air bubbles out and then make sure the back of each butter pat is completely smooth. Put the mold into the freezer until the butter is solid once again.


Once the butter is solid carefully place the mold face down on a marble or cool cutting board and peel back the Amazing Remelt mold. The butter pats should pop right out! Place them on wax paper, inside a Tupperware container in the refrigerator until ready to use. 


Using a spatula or a chilled butter knife move the butter to a plate and serve! So many other additions to the holiday table can be made with the help of Amazing Remelt!

What AMAZING arts and crafts can you create?


Visit my blog Art Resurrected for more craft tutorials!

Until next time, safe travels! ~ Tracy

• • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • •

Don't forget to subscribe to our blog on the right side bar:
Twitter at AmazingCrafting | Facebook at AmazingMoldPutty | YouTube at AmazingMoldPutty

1 comment:

  1. Tracy thanks for sharing such a fun - and tasty project. I look forward to the breakfast delight on some pancakes :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...