Thursday, November 13

Turn your Junque to Treasure with #Cre8time and Aimée Wheaton


I recently started selling online in a virtual garage sale group, they are usually a dime a dozen. This garage sale group is different in that you don't have to run all over town selling your goods to people, they come to you! You meet in the same location weekly and it is very organized as well as tons of people. If they say they are buying your item that is their word and they have to show up and pay for it and get it from you. Well being that I have 2 kids in 2 different age groups I have tons of junque to sell! The first week I made about $30, this week I'm making much more. I decided I wanted to turn our junque into cash and that I wanted to use this cash as family fun money or an emergency stash if we needed it. I wanted to keep it separate and this is where the project begins!

Meet Mr. Dill Pickle Jar!


Yes, he's a boring dude but I held onto him for an idea
to hit me, I didn't just want to throw him out.


I decided to try something different and use the Sculpey clay I had.


I rolled it out until I had the desired shape and trimmed the excess.


Next I gave it some texture with this glass piece I had by pressing it into the clay.


Texture!


Using the alphabet clay cutters I cut into the excess clay the word "Junque".


I had a lot of extra clay so I cut out some other words to use later on.


I preheated the oven and put the clay in to bake for about 16 minutes.


While that was baking I started getting my collage elements ready. I just bought this Mary Vogel Lozinak stamp at Viva Las VegaStamps! in Las Vegas 2 weeks ago. I love it! I also bought a bunch more and got to meet fellow design team member DeeDee Catron which was so fun!



I stamped the many designs onto the book pages from a very old book (1800's). Recognize another stamp? That dandelion stamp was designed by our fearless leader Susan Brown for Viva Las VegaStamps! I fell in love with it and then DeeDee told me she made it, even better!


Then it was time for Ms. Modpodge to meet Mr. Dill Pickle Jar.


I just started layering the pages on and ripping pieces as I went to cover the entire jar.


Next I hot glued the word onto the background because it is about to be molded.


The mold I made using Amazing Mold Putty. Love this stuff!
Please CLICK HERE to view mixing/preparation.


Looked almost perfect but had to fill in a few holes with more mold putty and retexture with the glass piece I had, it worked out pretty good. I love that you can fix things easy.


You can see the shiny areas are the ones I fixed.


I also used some clay tools to help me fix the mold.




I painted in the letters.


I also brushed it onto the raised texture.


I got my gloves on and started to mix the resin. I added 2 drops of the Fluorescent "Flo" Green Dye into Part "A" of the Amazing Casting Resin and mixed. I just wanted a hint of green in the resin and this ended up perfect. Please CLICK HERE to view mixing/preparation.


Little dye drops.


Next I poured into the mold, and like always I mixed up too much – so I quickly grabbed more molds to fill so it didn't go to waste. I always have them close by just in case I need them.


I forgot to take a photo after it was demolded – but I had to work quickly if I wanted it to shape around the jar and curve for me. I tied it on with some ribbon and it actually worked. The resin was flexible when I pulled it out and it was easy to alter.


After about 5 minutes I had this curve! Next I went out to my garage and used my trusty drill press to drill 4 holes to put my copper wire in.


Wired attached!


back of it.


Next I embellished the top of the jar and the lid with this lace washi tape.


You won't be able to tell it was a pickle jar when I'm done.


I then slid on the "junque" embellishment.


Top view


Back


Front


Different part of the back. The lace trim and button stamp was designed by DeeDee!

I really like how it turned out!! What do you think? It's functional and I can't wait to put our junque money in for some fun!! It will be a great way to teach my daughters to save money as well.

Let's see what you can create
with your variety of items,
Amazing Mold Putty
and Amazing Casting Resin!

Feel free to stop by my FB page to see the latest with me. 

To see more of my work please visit my blog "Creative Flutters"
and also at the Aimée Wheaton Art and Design website.

Till next time! Xoxo Aimée

 • • • • • • • • • • • • • •

Don't forget to subscribe to our blog on the right side bar:
Twitter at AmazingCrafting | Facebook at AmazingMoldPutty | YouTube at AmazingMoldPutty

3 comments:

  1. Very clever!!! Now I am going to look for some jars!

    ReplyDelete
  2. great idea, and can be easily turned into a bank, you could make some for your girls using stuff they like, make them banks and they can start saving for fun stuff they want to get, hence teach them about saving!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...