Monday, December 29

Moldmaking makes #Cre8time Friends...
by Susan M. Brown {sbartist}


Hello Amazing Crafters! Susan bringing you another edition of Mold Rubber Monday. Sharing some interesting experiments I've been having with the new Amazing Remelt in conjunction with Amazing Mold Rubber – they work AMAZING together!


A wonderful thing about Amazing Casting Products... that the products work together like peanut butter and jelly! Today I'm getting double duty out of my mini AMAZING No-Gelatin Printing Plate as I use it as a nonstick base for pouring a mold with Amazing Remelt.

This project starts off with my mini Amazing Mold Rubber slab and an embossed metal ATC I created for a swap many moons ago. I love creating ATCs {artist trading cards} and find creating mini one-of-a-kind masterpieces for trade very rewarding - BUT - these hand embossed metal cards are a lot of work and were a very small batch... only six originals made. I decided I wanted to make a mold of this and it has opened up a world of possibilities for this little piece of art!


Using 3M spray adhesive, I sprayed my mini Amazing Mold Rubber slab, and allowed it to dry a few minutes to tack up. CLICK HERE to view how I created this to use for monoprinting.


Then I gently adhered my embossed metal ATC.


After mounting, I brushed spray cooking oil onto my metal ATC. This ensures the oil {serving as a mold release from the Amazing Remelt} was applied into all the nooks and crannies, and also doesn't leave any large beads of oil to displace the molding material. I also lightly brushed over the edges where the spray adhesive is exposed on the rubber slab.


I placed my mold rubber slab back onto the acrylic block I created it on and wrapped scotch tape around the sides to make my mold box walls to pour the Amazing Remelt into.


I melted 3-4 one inch cut squares of Amazing Remelt and melted slowly in my microwave in my mold putty cup I created for my cookie espresso cup project {CLICK HERE to view}. Keep in mind each microwave model varies, so you'll want to start out slow and test your melt times - mine happens to be super hot. I melt at 10 second increments on the lowest setting and after 3 cycles, I'm ready to pour. I set my makeshift moldbox up against a large mold putty mold in case the tape bowed out a lot. I usually wrap a strip of cardstock around the outside as extra support.


I popped and pulled away bubbles affecting
image surface using a pin {or toothpick}.


I let the Amazing Remelt set to cool and harden for the day as I set off to work. Should only take an hour or so as this is only about 1/4" thick.


Now for the REVEAL!!! I love the amazing detail the Amazing Remelt has captured. This will certainly save me time and money in mold rubber {and space, too} for molding items quick and that I can create a new mold whenever I need... and I can STAMP with it!!!

Keep a lookout for what I create with this in the upcoming CHA Winter 2015 sneek peeks next week. I will be attending and demoing mornings at the Amazing Crafting Products/Alumilite Corp. Booth #1427 – come by and meet me and try out these amazing products!

How will you transform your original
art using Amazing Casting Products??

Please leave a comment below to share! If you would like to see more of my creations, please visit my blog sbartist : painting in the dark by clicking here. ~ Susan
. . . . . . . . . . . . . .

Want to Socialize with Amazing Crafting Products?
Twitter at @AmazingCrafting | Facebook at AmazingMoldPutty | YouTube at AmazingMoldPutty

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...