Monday, June 13

How does your #Cre8time Garden Grow... Globe Garden Mixed Media by Tracy Alden


Hello! Tracy here for another edition of Mold Rubber Monday! My project today was inspired by a bit of a happy mishap. Whenever I make molds using Amazing Mold Rubber I always have several extra items ready to mold if I have any excess Mold Rubber to pour after I pour my primary mold project. However sometimes things don't go exactly as planned and I end up going in a different craft direction.

Supplies:



Whenever my Amazing Mold Rubber molds get old, torn or I no longer need them I chop them up into small pieces. Those pieces act as filler for new Mold Rubber molds, both reusing the mold material and making any new kits of Mold Rubber stretch just that much further.


To prepare items to be molded I create mold boxes. Sometimes out of old food containers or even coated cardboard, as seen in the above photo. 

For this mold box I placed a flat bottomed glass globe on a ceramic tile, making sure it fit with some room for Mold Rubber to be poured around it. The ceramic tile acted at the base to my mold box, with sides made from a coated cereal box. I used packing tape and hot glue to seal the edges. Being that the glass globe was so heavy I did not need to glue it in place.


Carefully following the instructions, I mixed up Amazing Mold Rubber and slowly poured it into my mold boxes {CLICK HERE to view mixing/preparation}. After I finished pouring the Mold Rubber for mold of pendants, I still had enough to fill my mold box with the glass globe. In fact I had so much Mold Rubber left, I ended up covering the entire globe.


I tried to remove the globe from the Amazing Mold Rubber with slight cuts to the sides with a craft knife but the molding material is so strong I ended up slicing the entire mold in half to remove the globe.


At this point I could have just cut up the mold to use as filler again since my plan didn't work out so well but I noticed each half had a perfectly glass-smooth dome. Being that they were rather deep I realized they would make perfect molds for pendants, home decor and mixed media projects with embedded objects!


For my first test run resin pour I mixed up some Amazing Clear Cast Resin, filling each mold 1/4 with resin and carefully placed some dried herbs into the resin. I let this cure until a tacky set.


My second layer of resin I poured until it filled the mold halfway. I let this cure completely and then carefully trimmed and sanded the edges of the resin domes.


With my resin domes I created mixed media canvases by gluing the resin pieces in place, painting them with acrylic paints and Alumidust powder. After having so much fun with these happy mishap molds, I can't wait to see what else I can create with them.

What AMAZING arts and crafts can you create?

Please share them on the user GALLERY on the Amazing Crafting Products Website!

Visit my blog Art Resurrected for more craft tutorials!

Until next time, safe travels! ~ Tracy

• • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • •

Don't forget to subscribe to our blog on the right side bar:
Twitter at AmazingCasting | Facebook at AmazingMoldPutty | YouTube at AmazingMoldPutty

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...