Thursday, October 20

Creeperific #Cre8time Jewels... Amazing DIY Coffin Pendants by Tracy Alden


Hello! Tracy here with another Amazing Casting Products tutorial! Spooky crafting and decorating is in full swing at my house, with new ghosts and goblins appearing around every corner daily! Looking for a new way to show some Halloween cheer I brewed up a fun project with a little help from Amazing Mold Putty and Amazing Clear Cast Resin!

Supplies: 


Many years back I saved a small coffin shaped package the once held plastic vampire fangs, I knew the shape would be perfect to mold! I cleaned the packaging, careful to remove all stickers and dust.


I placed the small coffin on an clear acrylic block, mixed up Amazing Mold Putty {CLICK HERE to view mixing/preparation}, and molded it around the coffin. Being that it was on an acrylic block I could flip it over to see if I had the Mold Putty pushed up tight along the edges.


I needed the mold to have a flat bottom, so I used the lid from one of the Amazing Mold Putty jars to press carefully against the yet uncured mold putty. I made sure to let the Mold Putty fully cure before removing the acrylic block, lid and the original plastic coffin.


I carefully sliced halfway down the mold with a craft knife to create a tiny groove to be able to place and hold tight a jewelry eye pin. I wasn't worried about too much future resin seepage since the slice was paper thin.


I slid into the newly created groove a jewelry eye pin. When I poured resin into the mold it would catch the metal pin firmly in place to later wire wrap into a bail for the pendant.


I mixed up a small portion of Amazing Clear Cast Resin, making sure to slowly stir to reduce air bubbles and let it sit for 5 minutes. Using toothpicks, I put a tiny drop of Black Alumilite Dye into a small mixing cup. I filled the mold 1/4 with the tinted resin.


I carefully placed the 3 skull shaped beads covered in Lt. Green Alumidust in the still liquid tinted resin. While the resin cured I sprinkled a little micro crystal glitter to add some shimmer. If at any point the skull beads shifted out of place, a nudge back in place with a toothpick, helped resolve any wayward beads. I let the resin cure until a tacky set.


My second layer of resin I poured until it coated the top and sides of the skull beads with the beads just ever so slightly raised out of the resin. It gave the spooky look of skulls rising out of the murky depths of a darkened coffin! I let this layer cure completely, removed the pendant from the mold and then carefully trimmed the edges with craft scissors.


Using the 1500, 1800 sanding pads from the Alumilite Polishing Kit, I sanded the sides and back of the resin coffin pendant to a smooth matte finish. 


Using a cosmetic sponge I applied black chalk paint to the sides and back of the coffin pendant. *This step is optional* – but I wanted to complete the look of old dark coffin.


Using needle nose pliers I wrapped the wire into a tight loop, added some jumprings and strung it on a chain. I loved the look so much I even tried a second pendant in gold and black tones! By changing the tint of the resin, the style of beads, inclusions and embellishments any wild assortment of ghoulish glam can be created! 

What AMAZING arts and crafts can you create?

Please share them on the user GALLERY on the Amazing Crafting Products Website!

Visit my blog Art Resurrected for more craft tutorials!

Until next time, safe travels! ~ Tracy

• • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • •

Today we are hopping along with the artists of the Designer Crafts Connection who has taken on the challenge of creating with Amazing Casting Products.


For this challenge, Amazing Casting Products provided each of the Designer Craft Connection designers with Amazing Mold Putty and Amazing Clear Cast Resin. You want to pop over to the beginning of the bloghop HERE where you can enter to win what you see in the photo above... an Amazing Clear Cast Resin and a 3lb. kit of Amazing Mold Putty {which is 1 1/2 lbs of each part of this magical goodness}. An artist's dream PRIZE!!!

• • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • •

Don't forget to subscribe to our blog on the right side bar:
Twitter at AmazingCasting | Facebook at AmazingMoldPutty | YouTube at AmazingMoldPutty

7 comments:

  1. oh my I LOVE, LOVE anything skulls and this is such a fun project, love the detail of shadow you added to the brown coffin too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I adore skulls, and you skully coffin is fab!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very spooky necklaces! The coffin shape is perfect.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...