Wednesday, October 25

#Cre8time Eyes are Slimy... SpOoKy Altered Jar by Susan M. Brown {sbartist}


Hello AMAZING Makers!! Halloween is right around the corner and my Cre8time broom is charged up and racing about! Today I'm thrilled to share this brand new SpOoKtacular Halloween project created with stuff I have around the house {crafty stuff included}.


Tuesday is my favorite day of the week! For me it's recycling day and I am always inspired as to what I may find in my recycling bin to use in my Cre8time adventures. Today I am altering a jar using Amazing Casting ProductsEtchall® Etching Creme and a few things from my crafty stash...


...transforming this salsa jar into a spooky jar containing "Eyes of Newt"!

I begin by soaking the label off of the bottle and using some rubbing alcohol to clear off any residual glue and stamped information on the glass and I am ready to get to work CREEPin' it up! 


But before I move ahead with etching glass – I mix up some Amazing Clear Cast Resin with some Fluorescent Green Dye and Phosphorescent Powder {the same batch from my poison apples}, then pour a little in the bottom of the jar and set aside overnight to cure.

 

Next I create the words on my computer to cut vinyl on my Cricut Expression Air. I have created a mask to etch "eye of newt" onto the glass Etchall® Etching Créme. The process is easy, though there is more prep work involved to make the etched magic... please CLICK HERE to pop over and see tutorial on just the etching.


The combination of the etched letters and the Green Glowing Resin look so SpOoKy... but I'm going to CREEP it up MORE!


Using Amazing Mold Putty I quickly created a mold of a piece of bleached bone that has a bit of a curve to it and an old broken faucet handle. I then cast 4 pieces of bone and one handle with Amazing Casting Resin to give me some pieces to embellish the lid of my recycled jar. This resin cures a lovely opaque white and in about 10-15 minutes I have resin pieces ready to alter.


With my resin pieces ready... I add a patina finish to the jar lid and resin pieces with Ranger Adirondack alcohol inks {gold and pitch black}, then rubbing the high points with a gold paste wax. In less than 10 minutes all of my white resin castings and metal recycled bits are all wearing the same grungy patina! FINGERS TOO – LOL!!

Now for the super SLIMY finishing touch... 


**BEWARE** The following is how I made my slimy "eyes of newt". I used a food product BUT THE WAY I HAVE DONE THIS makes it NOT SAFE TO EAT -- FOR DISPLAY ONLY. You are going to want to only prepare/use this when you're going to have this on display for a party {because it will mold... it gets real gross, pretty fast}. I soaked some Chia seeds in water. When Chia seeds are soaked in liquid they swell up sort of like a tapioca, but not so large and they have little black thingy in the middle that looks like an eye. I happened to have some in my pantry for use in smoothies! PERFECT! I added a bit of my fluorescent Green Alumilite resin die and Alumilite Phosphorescent powder with some rubbing alcohol to this to add additional spooky glow. I will say the combination of the water soaked seeds made it hard for the dye and powder to dissolve and sort of negated the glowy-ness. Next time I will just add some green food coloring. I may go back and add more glowing resin to the jar for next time.


To complete the top of the lid... I have combined the handmade cast resin pieces from some found objects, some wire, bead findings and a recycled mini perfume bottle {which also has a bit of glowing resin inside}. I used some wire to wrap the ends of each resin bone together with a wire wrapped bead between, then twisted wire snugly to secure around edge of jar lid. The top of the jar is layered with the recycled perfume bottle atop of the resin cast faucet handle. 


The completed jar is just so SpOoKy cool!!


The jar looks so amazing by itself, though I have a few other oddities to cluster with this gruesome collection of eyes. The faux slimy eyes will only last a day or two, so I will discard the "eyes" and rise out the jar... and the FOOD SAFE glowing green resin goodness in the bottom will remain – ready and waiting for next Halloween.

What items would you mold and cast
to embellish your Altered Art?

Thanks for visiting! If you would like to see more of my creations,
please visit my blog sbartist : painting in the dark by clicking here. ~ Susan

• • • • • • • • • • • • • •



• • • • • • • • • • • • • •

Don't forget to subscribe to our blog on the right side bar:
Twitter at AmazingCasting | Facebook at AmazingMoldPutty | YouTube at AmazingMoldPutty

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...